Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Us and Them - Pink Floyd (Wright)

Yesterday, Keyboardist Richard Wright passed away at the age of 65 after struggling with cancer. He was the founding member of Pink Floyd and created some of my dearest to heart all time favorite songs. I highly recommend listening to "Comfortably Numb","Us and Them",and "The Great Gig in the Sky." His music had help me pass through some of the toughest times I had the last few years. My midnight drives were never completed without hearing "The Great Gig in the Sky." It was the only time I could feel all my pain and suffering lift off my shoulders for 4mins and 44 sec. It is sad to know that I will never meet/see the man who wrote the songs that opened the deep dark secrets in my heart.
RIP Richard Wright


This weekend wasn't exactly the best weekend either, both of my grandmas have been in poor health. I look at them and questioned how the end of my life will be. Even though as a family we constantly would visit them, I feel that they are still alone in the world. Without someone of the same age to keep them company anymore, they have this distant feeling when interacting with them. I find it depressing to find that the end of life is full of loneliness with few memories to retain. The brain struggles to keep information straight and many times it seems to fail to store it into long term memory.

As a person who values memories and critical thinking, I do fear the inevitable old age. Of all the ways to die, I think I would rather kill myself than to die with Alzheimer's disease. To live the remain years of your live with poor cognitive abilities is equivalent to being a vegetable.

No comments: